a. Final project time
b. Retreat time/closing the semester
c. Back to the US!
d. Back to Thailand
I will try to do my best, retrospectively. FIRST, final project time.
During this time, our students are presented with potential projects that have been suggested by communities and NGOs that we have worked with in some way over the course of the semester. As p'facs, we each get a project or two to advise. I worked with a land reform project with two students. The communities are being charged with causing global warming through their farming practices. It was so absurd, we all got so amped and angry about it. The students put together an AMAZING report that was above and beyond what they needed. I was so proud!! The other project involved laying the foundation for a Civil & Political Rights (CPR) report. The program has for years done work with Economic, Social, and Cultural Rights (ESCR), but due to the political situation we saw the need to expand our focus. Ideally, this will result in the creation of a "bridge" document, bringing together all the reports that have already been created with the additional focus. Very exciting potential for the spring!
THEN, it was retreat time. It was a great time, reflecting and evaluating the semester in its entirety. Exhausting as well. I'll be honest, it was an emotional rollercoaster for me. I cried out of happiness, sadness, anger, and every other emotion on the spectrum.



In the end, it was a good closing for the fall and began the mental shift to Spring 2011. We have 20 students coming!
After this, I went back home for the holidays. It was so nice to be back around family and friends for 2 weeks. A great mental break from the CIEE world. The trip was actually far easier than expected. Not too much reverse culture shock (I was worried) and the time difference adjustment wasn't so bad. I didn't sleep for 3 days straight, but it didn't bother me so much.

I started to get a little delirious towards the end when Shivani was over at my house, but otherwise all was well. My shining moment was probably surprising Mom by coming home two days early. Thanks to Bob, who is a champ, I got to the house around 4am. Showered, slept, and then snuck downstairs ninja style. I came up behind her on the couch and said "Merry Christmas Mom" at which point she started weeping. Now time for the collective "awwww."

Otherwise, there was snow and LOTS of visiting with folks. Everyday was jam-packed with people time. It was great. :)




Now I am back in Thailand after a LONG journey. I was really exhausted yesterday and made the mistake of taking a two hour nap in the afternoon. When I was awakened, I literally felt insane. I had this ball of anxiety in my chest and I felt totally at the end of my rope. Washed out, or something. But then I hopped on the back of the motorsai with Alvin (a great way to quell anxiety) and drove to Central to see Tron (a movie.) It was in 3-D, and was ok. My synopsis of the movie would be as follows: your dad leaves you to go on a 20 yr LSD binge and then you find him again, washed up and totally insane--however, instead of seeing him for the crazy person he is, you actually go INTO his drug-fueled fantasy and play along with his "new world."
Seriously. That is what I think Tron is about. Heads up.
Otherwise, I am now sitting in the CIEE office getting ready for the first day back at work. Allison got in this morning around 7:30, so we sat in our room and reminisced about all the cheese we ate. It's nice to be back.
SPRING 2011, here we come.
No comments:
Post a Comment