I have often said that social
justice brought me to seminary. It was my gateway, the only way I felt
comfortable walking back into a church. In many ways, it brought me into the Episcopal
Church, which has taken bold stances on issues which are typically considered
“justice” issues, at least by the left (gay marriage, ordination of women,
immigration, etc).
These stances, for the most part,
reflect my beliefs about how people should be treated. They reflect my
admittedly liberal social stances while still holding onto a deeply historical
faith and tradition.
But, the recent 50th
anniversary of the March on Washington and the accompanying discussions of
civil rights in America have made me reflect more on the fight for social
justice. What is it in us that causes some of us to fight for an issue some
call social justice and others to fight against an issue they call heresy?
Many of the commentators on the
March seemed saddened when they saw all the old photos, heard all the old
speeches and songs. They seemed sad because we as a nation realized that we
hadn’t made very much progress in the areas of jobs and justice.
In an op-ed in the Washington Post
by Courtland Milloy (http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/50-years-later-black-leaders-words-lack-fire/2013/08/24/783e9de6-0cfb-11e3-b87c-476db8ac34cd_story.html),
he wrote that “A march for justice organized by radicals a half-century ago was
commemorated Saturday by a civil rights establishment now fully incorporated
into the American mainstream. The result was a day filled with irony as
speakers criticized a status quo that some black leaders have helped maintain.”
A powerful admonishment, to be sure.
I was unable to attend the March, and so I can’t comment on that particular
aspect any further.
But the comment spoke to something I
have been struggling to acknowledge in myself lately—much of my social justice
work stems from the sense that I am right, and you are wrong. I am right about
gay rights, and you are not. “We” are right about issue X, and “you” are not.
To reference Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., much of my social justice work has been
a futile effort to build a new world with the tools of the old.
In social justice work, I worry that
we do not spend enough time talking about the role our own egos play in the
actions we take. The peril of the left is that we promote the idea of equality
for all, of justice for all, while not really meaning it for our conservative
brothers and sisters. On the extreme ends of the left and right, the vitriolic
words and close-minded stances look largely the same when you put the content
on mute.
But closer to the middle, where I
try to land, the line between my own ego’s sense of right and my understanding
of what God calls me to can become perilously blurred.
Fr. Richard Rohr, a Franciscan and
one of my favorite authors, wrote,
I
think that the great disappointment with so much political activism, even many
of the non-violent movements of the 60s and 70s, and why many people were not
long-lasting in these movements, is because these movements did not proceed
from transformed people. They were coming from righteous ideology of either
Left or Right, from mere intellect and will, and not from people who had put
head, heart, body, and soul together. We
need to find inside ourselves the positive place of communion, of holiness, where
there’s nothing to react against. Pure action is when you are acting from a
place which is good, true, and beautiful. The energy at that point is entirely
positive. Until
you can find that, don’t act. I’m trying to keep you in there for the long
haul. I’m trying to call forth an instrument that can really make a difference
in the world. These people are the lightning rods of God’s energy into the
world. They can be quite adamant, clear, and long-suffering. They can even
allow themselves to suffer violence, like Jesus, instead of inflicting it on
others.
When
we act from our ego, we do not act from the place of God’s will in the world.
In my experience, it is not very difficult to tell the difference. I find it to
be most visible in myself when I react to another’s dissent with defensiveness
and undeserved condescension. On the other hand, when I am working from the
place of centeredness that is God’s domain, I find that it bothers me very
little when others disagree with me because I am confidant in God to work
something through even a disagreement.
In
this place, my concern is less with being right or wrong, and more with being a
vessel through which this person might encounter something of the Holy.
So,
when I ask myself why I work for social justice, I must constantly check my
motivations through prayer, meditation, and study of the Scripture. It is a
centering post in my life, giving me the flexibility to hear others without
fear and live alongside those who disagree with me. In this way, the liberal church
has much to learn from our conservative brothers and sisters. We have been too
apt to let our spiritual practices slide while thinking it creates time for
more action, instead of realizing it renders our actions less than they could
be, at best, or, at worst, a distortion of God’s hopes for the world.
Thus,
when we review the progress we as a nation have made (or have failed to make),
I wonder whether we should instead reflect on our own inner selves. Have we personally
been transformed to live differently, or have we spent too much time trying to
transform everyone else to think as we think?
The
writings of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. seem to reflect this important
distinction. He wrote, “Every man must decide whether he will walk in the light
of creative altruism or in the darkness of destructive selfishness.”
The
frightening part is that even actions which on the surface appear altruistic
can too often actually stem from this “darkness of destructive selfishness.”
This
does not mean that we should not say what we think or act on what seems right.
It is about changing the root of our action by reorienting ourselves towards a
God who has historically proven able to hold many different kinds of Christian
expression.
It
is refocusing on how we disagree, not
only what we disagree on. For my church, the Episcopal Church, this is
certainly a struggle. Dioceses and parishes are leaving over the issue of
homosexuality, among other things. Such divisions are sad, and (I hope) not
irreparable. But I sense that the question of reparability lies more in how we
choose to disagree now than it does in whether we can convince the other of our
opinion.
And
trust me—I am writing this just as much for myself as I am for others. I am
passionate and have strong opinions on many topics. I like to “win” an argument
and feel superior. I love being with
others who agree with me and enforce my sense of rightness.
But
I must repent, reorient myself, and place myself with all seekers, especially
those with whom I disagree.
The
poet Rumi wrote, “Let the beauty of
what you love be what you do.” As we struggle to bring the kingdom of God into
this world, to make space for God to “let justice roll down like waters and
righteousness like an ever-flowing stream,” I pray that we let the beauty we
love rather than the ugliness we hate guide our thoughts and actions.
No comments:
Post a Comment