My main takeaway from this recent time of retreat, which I am still working on writing about: Wake up! Wake up to your life, your broken and beautiful life! Or, as the poet Mary Oliver so wonderfully put it: “Tell me, what is it you plan to do, with your one wild and precious life?”
-----------------
2015 Lenten Retreat, Holy Cross Monastery
The chapel was ice cold, its white walls and
high windows equally cold and barren. The brothers in their two lines sat
quietly, one blowing his nose loudly every now and then while the others kept
their heads down and pretended not to notice the sound. Far away, a cross with
intricate painted scenes from the life of Jesus stood, a splash of color
against the bare walls. But even in the bareness, there was something clean
about the chapel; cold, clean, and open. A blank slate almost, something to be
written on anew by each new person, or an emptiness to be rested in by a
wounded soul.
My soul sat in the quietness, worn down and
weighed down by the cares of parish life. Worn down in a way that I didn’t even
fully understand until I entered into the stillness, until the fast moving
tides of the world ceased and I found my muscles fatigued, my mind empty, my
joy a barely burning ember.
What was left after the anxiety and
exhaustion ebbed away was a sadness. How had I gotten to this place? Hadn’t I
read enough books, prayed enough times, led enough conversations about
self-care and burn-out to recognize the signs?
Even as others on the retreat had been
contemplating their Lenten disciplines, the very clear message I got from God
was “Be still. Relax. Just be, and be loved.”
And so as I sat in the chapel, I sat in the
new pit of emptiness that I had become aware of within me where the toxicity of
life had worn down my being like a slow acid. It didn’t hurt, it didn’t even
feel bad; it just felt like a nothingness. I felt acutely aware of the veil
between life as we live it and life as it “really” is; the busyness and noise
which masks the yawning chasm of silent emptiness, the frenetic actions which
mitigate our anxiety and lack of control in a world which is largely beyond our
ability to understand. Did anything I worked on really matter? Did all the time
spent planning that event really mean anything, or was it just a more
dissociated form of self-flagellation?
I suddenly felt something cave in—it was as
if what I thought was the basement level of my soul had given way to reveal an
even deeper floor, a new subbasement level inhabited by God knows what.
Now I ached; now I felt the tightness in my
chest, the pangs of feeling as something fervent and powerful rushed over me,
filling in the space which had now become even more expansive. Love poured in,
the kind of love that leaves you breathless and sore from the touch of it,
aching from the holding of it. Free, undeserved, and even unasked for love now
sat in me, reaching deeper than I thought possible.
I thought of my dear friend Hannah who just
had a baby; was this a piece of what she had described feeling, when she told me about the painful love she
feels for her child?
We finished our prayers, stood and waited on
the brothers to file out. They turned, bowed, and left the room. We all walked
out too, stepping carefully around one another as we moved silently along.
Love moved with me, love moved around me, and
love walked beside me, as the seed of God in me felt itself pulled towards the
other God seeds in those around me. But the pull was a yearning, a craving even;
I’m not sure if I felt better, but I certainly felt, and felt abundantly.
Lord God, whose grace is given to undeserving people at the most
inopportune times, I thank you for the gift of deep love. I thank you for your
people, who bring out the best and worst of me so that I may see myself more
rightly. I thank you for dear friends, who speak quiet truth and help me to see
myself with grace and compassion, and especially for those who love me better
than I love myself. I thank you for the woundedness in my soul that allowed me
to be filled with your grace in a greater abundance than I had ever imagined
possible, and I pray for the guidance to use this power according to your will.
I pray for the courage to never stop feeling, especially when it makes me cry
all day. Surround me with your Spirit like a hug. Send your angels to tend to
me, to encourage me, as I walk through this next wilderness of discernment.
Always
with You, always with You my Lord will I abide. Amen.

You are beautiful
ReplyDelete