Oh, how to report all that has happened in the past few days? I can quickly see that this blog is going to be difficult to keep up with because so many things happen in one day!
To start with, we went to the protest village (Baw Kaew) that I mentioned a few posts ago. It was an overall interesting experience, but also very difficult.
We had an exchange with a group of US professors who came to Thailand through a CIEE Faculty Development program. I facilitated an exchange between them, Thai students, Thai villagers, and the interns. Whew! It was pretty intense, but I was really happy that I was able to do a competent job on my first translated exchange.
It was a huge party and there was lots of lao kao/rice whiskey (normally strictly prohibited in this village) and dancing and singing. I was playing with kids, dancing with old men and women, and just trying to keep up.
Not speaking Thai was really difficult. Not to mention that many of the folks there speak Isaan Thai, which is closer to Lao. This means that, even for Thai speakers, it can be impossible to understand.
Otherwise, I found it a trying experience. We slept on the floor underneath mosquito nets with large holes (in a jungle essentially) and I ended up getting really sick from the food. 1:30am rolled around and I had to race out of there into the dark to find the bathroom (a low shed with toilet, no TP, and water.) I then stayed up with some of the other Thai students and interns who were also finding sleep difficult. Around 3am, I went to bed. I was then awoken at 6:20am by a small child sitting outside my mosquito net and staring at me.
For those of you who know me, you know that I am not a morning person. Especially when that morning follows a particularly bad night.
Thus, after mastering a lot of self control, I ambled out of the mosquito net at 8:15 or so when the girl crawled into my bed and pulled me upright. This was followed by a walk into the light and having a huge breakfast cooked and put in front of me.
Needless to say, I think the experience would have been a much better first homestay had I not gotten sick. I also see the need to learn more Thai so that I'm not so dependent on others in my group (the translator left earlier.)
The next few days consisted of writing up feature stories (as practice for what the students will do) on Baw Kaew and also working on our group process.
The exciting highlights: we went and got our motorsai licenses!! It was a pretty hilarious experience.

We also went to NGO Cord, which is the coordinating base of non-gov organizations (NGOs) in the Northeast of Thailand. There, we had a talk with P'Biac, one of the most interesting people I have met thus far. He is a long time NGO in the Northeast, working primarily with farmers. He is also extremely intelligent and speaks amazing English. I mean, seriously-- he used words I haven't used in awhile. When he was younger, he got a scholarship to study in England for his masters. But, after protesting unfair treatment of students, the UK gov kicked him out before he could finish his MA. He talked to us a lot about Buddhist philosophy and its intersections with his work.
Otherwise, life goes on in Thailand. I have finally stopped pooping (all of you wanted to know that), so I don't have to go to the hospital after all. Yay!
We also did another contemplative ed activity. (Like flipping the cloth and going through the ropes.) This one was pretty intense and involved being led blindfolded through a field of tacks.
I lead a strange life.
-------------------------------------------
On a different note, I have lately been reflecting on what it means to lead a single life. While this might sound simple at first read, it is really difficult. Living one life means uniting all parts of your life, whether those be work, play, and/or passions.
Living a united life where you are authentic and true to each part of it at all times is bold. When I think of it, I feel challenged to make it happen and a tiny bit intimidated.
However, I think that is my main thought now: Develop the confidence and boldness to live one life.
And on a side note, my friend Nat in Spartanburg posted this picture of me, taken... gosh, probably one year ago. I wanted to post it here, both as a reminder to me of what my hair looks like straight... and in line with this thought. How to unite all my life into "me." To answer and pose more questions about who I am and what I stand for.

-------------------------------------------
PS One of the American professors is originally from Spartanburg! Her name is Sandra. SMALL WORLD.
great post lindy! I love that you ran into an SC professor.
ReplyDelete