A few days ago, we had an exchange with a group known as the School of Politics. They are a network of university students led and mentored by recently graduated students. There goals remind me a lot of ENGAGE in the sense that they see the need to get students out of the classroom and into the community to learn about issues directly from the mouths of those affected. One member of the group described his introduction as such:
“Before I was a student at Khon Kaen University, I wanted to go on trips so I signed up for a number of clubs. The only one that stuck with me was one that took a trip to the Pak Mun Dam in Ubon Ratchatani where we worked with villagers there. I was able to see the villagers affected by a horrible development project. We went back and talked about how we, as students, felt about it. We felt that it was unjust because the villagers were poor, but used to have natural resources. So, we got together and started asking—what can we do? This is how I got involved.”
This story really resonated with me because I feel like it speaks to my experience as well. Little things like this continue to remind me of the common elements of our work and our goals. In addition, the struggles seemed to be similar. One leader, P’Pope, explains that “This is the third time we have tried to do this. The second and third even look similar. But you keep trying. Students are a large group and we want them to work with villagers in their camps, not just issues.”
It is difficult for people to work together, and it is difficult to deeply understand problems. However-- isn't it a little reassuring that across the world, people are asking the same questions?
They're still trying. And we're still trying.
Together, we are always stronger.
--------------------------------------------------------
On a lighter note, I had my first conversation in Thai yesterday! And by conversation, I mean abbreviated discussion about a water pipe. BUT, I feel like I am starting to find footholds in this language. However, there are 5 tones... so one word can be said 5 different ways and mean 5 different things. A little intimidating. Especially because water buffalo said the wrong way becomes a word that I really wouldn't want to say in public. You know, without meaning to.
No comments:
Post a Comment