From here to there.
Friday, September 2, 2011
Classes begin
I have now officially finished my first week of class at Wesley-- after a bit of a rough/awkward start for me in orientation, I feel like I am settling in much better now. I have all my syllabi, assignments, tons to read, and a better idea of the school and logistical details. All part of the process of settling in.
My classes this week consist of sociology of religion, church history (early-Reformation), spiritual formation (a class on spiritual practices), old testament, new testament, and a seminar for Urban Fellows (which will consist of sidewalk surveys, data collection, and action-based research). I like them all so far, for their own reasons. And there is a wonderful courtyard to sit in and think.
A concept that has occupied my thoughts lately is that of "midrash," a Jewish concept I learned about in Old Testament class this week. When looking at a text, they identify the letters and words themselves as "black fire" and the white, blank paper around the words as "white fire." One can play in the white fire, and it is where the spirit exists.
I love this idea. It reminds me of this quote by the wonderful Wendell Berry:
"There are, it seems, two muses: the Muse of Inspiration, who gives us inarticulate visions and desires, and the Muse of Realization, who returns again and again to say "It is yet more difficult than you thought." This is the muse of form. It may be then that form serves us best when it works as an obstruction, to baffle us and deflect our intended course. It may be that when we no longer know what to do, we have come to our real work and when we no longer know which way to go, we have begun our real journey. The mind that is not baffled is not employed. The impeded stream is the one that sings."
To me, it seems that the form, the text, continues to baffle and yet in its confusion creates meaning and discovery. Old Testament will be this for me, my mind is certainly employed and impeded, in Berry's words.
In other news, I had a lovely visit this week from Mom, Bob, and Hurley dog. It was great to see them!
Even though Hurley woke me up at 6:30am and couldn't understand that elevators must be taken before the outside is reached... he kept barking which caused he and mother to have some strong words. Several times.
Drinking coffee later that afternoon, post-Hurley wake up call.
Some of the urban fellows also got together and went to the MLK, Jr memorial that just opened in DC. It was a wonderful experience with a great group of people. After wandering around the memorial, the group stood in a circle and my new friend Kayeen led us in prayer in front of the monument. It was such a special time, praying in a very diverse group for continued social change and love in the world at the feet of a monument to a man who gave his life for a better, healthier community. It was honestly one of the first times in years (maybe decades) that I felt comfortable praying. Praying with a group, in a public place... it all felt right. The whole experience was wonderfully centering for me.
I also got to explore Chinatown (which is really more Gallery Place... there is very little "China" in Chinatown, except this gate.
Tonight consists of a fish taco dinner at the intentional community downtown and hopefully (if I'm not too tired) dancing out on the town.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment